PDF Export

Dolní Věstonice

default_foto_logo.png The village Dolní Věstonice can be found to the north of Pavlovské Hills, approximately 10 km to the north of Mikulov, on the southern bank of Novomlýnské dams. Wine making has a thousand-year tradition in the village.


The cellar alley

The village can be found close to an old business way from Austria to Moravia. The small village is world-wide known thanks to the small statue of the Venus of Věstonice, found by Professor Karel Absolon during archaeological research in 1925.

The vineyard rows below the Děvičky ruins and colourful fronts of houses above vaults on the way to Pavlov – these are the most significant features of wine making in Dolní Věstonice. The first original purpose-oriented farm buildings were built in the end of the 18th and at the beginning of the 19th century. Husí plácek, a small square below the southern part of the village, confirms presence of Habans in the area. Even though the old Haban cellars and houses are re-built, the conglomerate complex of wine buildings with several romantic creeks keeps the atmosphere of medieval wine centre. A very old vault can be found below the listed craft building No. 4. The year 1575 was found in preserved plaster layer above the entry portal of the medieval house. The vault is accessible from an arcade rampart and it protected life-important source of potable water, similarly as many other vaults in this area.

Dolni Vestonice-01.jpg

Further information:



Valentýnský večer ( 17.02.2018 10:00 - 17.02.2018 23:59 )
Navigate GPX Export

Go to article